THE JOSEPHINUM

josephinumFounded by Emperor Joseph II for the purpose of educating physicians for the army, the Collegium Medico-Chirurgicum- Josephinum quickly became known as the Josephinum. The building was constructed between 1783 and 1785 according to a design by Isidor Canevale, court architect to Joseph II. Today it houses the collections of the Medical University of Vienna, which include the world-famous wax anatomical models, a comprehensive library whose oldest book dates from 1478, an archive of paintings and other pictures of interest to the history of medicine, and a collection of publications and hand-written documents, among them the complete archives of physician-scientists such as Julius Wagner-Jauregg and Theodor Billroth.

www.meduniwien.ac.at/josephinum/ extlink

 

waxmodel
© Alexander Koller/Christian Brandstätter Verlag